Thursday, January 12, 2006

According to the Oprah Show, a stressful lifestyle can add years to your age. Here is a list of things that add to your age and thus take away from your life. My comments are in red:

1) If you can't set boundaries, have trouble speaking up for yourself and suffer from the "disease to please" add 4.4 years to your age.

I think that when I was younger, I was somewhat of a 'people pleaser.' but I don't think so anymore. Dr. Laura says that even though the term 'people pleaser' has the connotation of being a kind, selfless person, REALLY the 'people pleaser' is a selfish, self-centered person because usually the whole purpose of trying so hard to please the other person is --trying to make sure they think well of YOU, not necessarily just to make them happy. Mmmm.

2) If you don't have an outlet for you passion and creativity, add 6 years.

I think my passion is learning more about the Lord Jesus and his ways, and theology in general. He is so interesting and there is so much to learn. This subject could never be exhausted and I really enjoy it. Also, this may sound weird, but I think I use my creativity in my accounting work. I know that most people would think that is so boring, but I really get a sense of accomplishment when I finish a task and when I feel like I did a good job. I seem to like organizing and paying attention to detail too. --I know, WEIRD!

3) Toxic relationships can take a huge toll on your health. If someone is draining your energy, add 8 years to your actual age.

I have had many toxic relationships in my life, but thank the Lord, I feel like the relationships I'm in now are very beneficial to me. I try to avoid people that cause me stress. Just not worth it.

4) If you spend more than 3 hours every day stressed out and don't take time for yourself, you may be adding as many as 32 years to your chronological age!

Of course, there are days that I get really stressed out, but I think they are few and far between for the most part. I really enjoy life and have so many blessings!

No comments: