Sunday, March 11, 2007

Our Venture Out This Morning.

You know that Bo, Mason & I (and sometimes Corbin)worship at home each week on Sunday. We have a good study and listen to a sermon tape from one of several gospel churches scattered about, but not within driving distance for us. Bo & I talk very often of how we wish we had a gospel church to attend, how we miss the fellowship of like-minded people, and even entertain the possibility of moving near one someday. Well, there is a Calvinistic Presbyterian Church here. We visited it one time before about 3 years ago, and this morning we decided to visit it again.

It started off well. We sang several hymns and the preacher even expounded on one of the hymns, "Jesus, thy Blood and Righteousness," telling of how Christ is the only way to heaven. Yes, he certainly is. I agree, tell us more.

Then he opened the bible and began preaching on Hebrews 10:23-25.

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

A good scripture passage, but this is where the focus on Christ was left behind, and the focus on US and what we need to DO, began. By the time we left, I felt like I had been given a tongue-lashing on what I need to and better get to DOING. We were told that even though we would probably prefer to go fishing, or golfing, or whatever on Sunday morning, we must put that aside and go to church. We must love and be there for other believers.

WHAT??

Now, this may be the way that churches that preach law and works get people to church, but it's not the way to get true believers to church, is it? All you've got to do is preach Christ, and believers will be there, because they love Christ and love the gospel. True believers PREFER going to church to fishing or golfing, if the preacher is truly preaching Christ.

I hate hearing the message of do, do, do. I love the message of done, done, done. What Christ has done, that is. And he has done it ALL. There's nothing left for me to do. What a wonderful gospel. A gospel that is new every morning, and never gets old no matter how many times you hear it.

And because of this gospel, I want to go to church (even though I don't have one). I want to hear the gospel expounded upon. I feel a love for and kinship with other believers, but certainly not because I mustered it up myself. No, no.

The gospel truly sets us free. Free to do exactly what we WANT to do.

I guess this morning's excursion was a good experience for us,

but, needless to say, we decided to just continue studying at home.

No comments: