Sunday, February 04, 2007

A good quote

“If we wish to conquer undesirable emotional tendencies in ourselves, we must assiduously, and in the first instance cold-bloodedly, go through the outward motions of those contrary dispositions we prefer to cultivate.” --William James.

I like this quote. I read it on a blog that I read regularly called The Happiness Project. I think it has alot of truth to it because I have found it to be true in my own life, if I will just do it. Another way of saying it is 'fake it till you make it.'

I used to think that if I didn't FEEL something, there was no point taking the action. I believe now that feelings can follow actions. If I really want to change something about myself, but I don't FEEL like doing what it takes, I can just pretend I feel like it, go ahead and take the action, and alot of times the feelings will come soon after. It's not easy and it takes work, but it does seem to work many times.

--I think that is a good thing to know.

Take a look at this guy.

No comments: