Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Lilly Update

Well, my first day with Lilly the dog was quite challenging, trying to get all my household chores done and watch her too, trying to make sure she didn't do her business in the house and cleaning up after her when she did. I called Bo at work that day saying, 'I just don't know if I can do this. Maybe this was a mistake!'

The second day, I started reading about housebreaking dogs on the internet, and learned about crate training. We had bought a crate the day we got Lilly because the breeder said to, so I decided to use it. I know it sounds cruel, but I really don't think it is. Lilly is getting used to it and doesn't seem to mind. It's been much better since I started using the crate. I don't have to watch her every second. I do take her out every hour or so to go outside, and she is slowly learning, I think. I let her out for a couple of hours to play everyday. (I try to take her for a walk, but she doesnt seem very interested in that. Hopefully she will learn to like it). The reason for the crate is so she has no opportunity to 'go' in the house, only outside. She doesn't go in the crate. Most dogs won't.

I'm feeling better about her now and even enjoy her sometimes. Hey, maybe there's hope for me yet.






OK, all you dog lovers. Please don't hate me.

2 comments:

eileen~ said...

I've heard that crate training works for housebreaking, I hope it does for you and Lilly. Once you have that down I bet you will feel better about everything.

And if you don't, well at least you gave it a try, eh? I don't think anyone is going to hate you for sure!!

I really do hope you can find enjoyment with Lilly, that is what it is all about. Keep up the walking, she'll love it when she is a little older, truly!

Carol said...

She actually walked with me this morning. Yea. She's coming along.